Thank you to the volunteers that have given their time over the last twelve months to causes they care about and in response to the emergency situations that people have been faced with
What is volunteering?
Volunteering means giving your time freely and by choice to support someone other than a family member. There are lots of things you can choose to do to support others in the community.
People volunteer for many reasons:
- You can give something back to your local community
- You can gain confidence and meet new friends
- You can learn new skills to change career or get back into the workplace
- You can often have a lot of fun!
Volunteering shouldn’t affect your benefits, you can often receive out-of-pocket expenses and you can access training. It also looks good on your CV – many employers look very favourably on volunteering experience.
What can I do?
Volunteering is flexible – you decide how much you want to do and when, taking into account the other commitments you have in your life.
There are many different activities, such as sport, befriending, administrative work or practical help and support for people in a wide variety of settings.
5 Top Tips For Getting Started
The Volunteer Centre will be able to tell you what voluntary work is available locally and will be able to put you in touch with local organisations. We will also be able to answer any queries that you have about volunteering.
- Think about what you want from volunteering – new skills, a chance to contribute to a good cause, an opportunity to meet new people.
- What do you have to offer? – enthusiasm, work skills, life skills.
- Remember that everyone has a right to volunteer – whatever your skills or experience, we will help you to find the right placement.
- Work out how much time you have to give each week/month.
- Try it! The most difficult part about volunteering is making the first move
What Do I Do Next?
That depends on you! There are a wide range of opportunities available within different organisations, provided you are 14 years or over.
If you would like to find out more about volunteering contact the Volunteer Centre on (01685) 353900. We look forward to hearing from you.